Wednesday 16 August 2017

worse than a hangover

when i woke up, the world was rocking sideways. i thought, ugh, i hate hangovers.

but then it wasn't my head. moonlight was rocking sideways. 

we were already cruising back south, and the waters were pretty rough but we have to keep sailing as we have only a few days left and we all pretty much have to be off the boat in 4 days. we were going to make a pit stop in aasiaat to get some bolts (?) to keep the pipes together. or something important like that.


this was how i imagined moonlight


southbound

moonlight was practically ripping through the waves and it was just cruel. it must have been past noon, and i saw peter was also still in bed, probably feeling the pain too. i tried to get up and go to the bathroom to maybe shower and go to the deck, but that didn't work out. i'm pretty sure the heavy drinking did not help either. i went back to bed and tried to sleep it off.

later on i braved it and went up the deck around 5pm. i remember paps previously told me that the best way to deal with seasickness is to just look at the horizon. i sat in my spot at the front deck, just looking at the distant rocky mountains and icebergs, trying to distract myself from the pain. it also helped that it was so cold. during dinner i learned that everybody was shook up too. no drinking for me that night, and then it was back to bed.

the next day - it was even worse

if moonlight was shaking yesterday, today she was sailing tilted sideways. my bed was sideways, and i literally had to hold on the frame so i won't slide down. i was almost rolling on to peter's side. i did my best to shower, hoping that would make me feel better. it was quite a challenge: the only way i could do it was to put my right foot against the shower door, my hips against the wall, i'm leaning forward with my head down and one hand held the shower head. yeah, even i was amazed how i managed. that nice warm shower made me feel like taking a nap again :D

by late afternoon i was starving, but there was no leaving the bed, so i munched on some nuts and m&m's. i dozed off again, then probably a few hours later, someone rang the bell which meant dinner was ready. 

the sailing got somewhat calmer as the evening went on, and since i was pretty much in bed all day long and just got up, i didn't feel like going back to bed soon. there was nothing much left to do than to drink, i suppose, right? and so we drank the rest of the evening off as we continued sailing. we reached aasiaat before midnight.


arriving at aasiaat. we survived! 

the thought of the trip ending very soon is starting to lurk in my mind. on the one hand it was, "yay, no more hiking!" and the other, "i won't be with the puffins anymore." 

:( 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Bukit Timah Railway Station

I am clearly not a person who has FOMO because if I did, I wouldn't have just walked past this unpaved and rather remote path many times...