Sunday 17 June 2012

The Downer Traveller

Just recently I have come across someone who seems to have been very well traveled, a solo traveler more specifically. He had been to quite a number of countries and a good number of people have left nice references for him, quoting how fun and interesting he is. For this reason I was looking forward to meeting him.

And so you can imagine the disappointment when I got to know him and observe that he talks very negatively about a lot of stuff. I have never been to where he lived here in Asia, and have heard enough stories about the city - mostly positive, really. I lived and visited other places too and while there is always something to complain about a destination, there will always be something wonderful about it too.

I think that if you indeed love traveling, you will always find delight in something about the city you are visiting. Even more so when you lived there, especially if it was your own choice. As 'visitors' of a foreign land I think we should feel like we owe this place, more than it owes us. The place didn't choose us, we chose to move there. It deserves a bit of respect and appreciation for the sole reason that you did not suffer any mistreatment or injustice while you lived there.

And also, travelers love meeting fellow travelers to hear wonderful stories of their journeys, not to be discouraged by their pettiness and misconstrued opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Old Bukit Timah Railway Station

I am clearly not a person who has FOMO because if I did, I wouldn't have just walked past this unpaved and rather remote path many times...